"It's the wanting to know that makes us matter." ~ Tom Stoppard
There is no better basis of creativity than a persistent desire for knowledge and search for meaning in all facets of existence.
With almost 20 years’ experience as a graphic designer, writer, and creative director, Alison works with an array of clients to devise written and visual solutions to all creative challenges.
Alison began her career in the marketing and advertising departments of Pearson Education in New York City. She subsequently worked as Promotions Manager for InvestmentNews at Crain Communications. And in 2009, she established a freelance creative business, helping clients realize their written and visual communication goals, by carefully blending art and science with expressive intention.
Alison holds a BA in English and Economics from the University of Notre Dame, along with a Certification in Graphic & Digital Design from Parsons School of Design. She is a member of AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science).
Maria Lima of MCL Interactive is an esteemed and celebrated independent web developer based in New York City. Her design and development work show tremendous passion and insight, which she brings to all of her clients and projects with love, professionalism, and an esteemed work ethic admired by all who partner with Maria.
Her extensive career has spanned both corporate and freelance positions, working both front-end designs and back-end technologies for leading media and communications companies, often taking on the position as in-house resident expert.
Alison is a skilled researcher, writer, and journalist, with an expertise in environmental health, electromagnetism, wireless technology, chemical safety, regulatory policy, technology addiction, environmental medicine, building biology, Paleo philosophy, and natural living. She approaches all writing assignments with an analytical and curious perspective, coupled with an anthropological framework, and a voice that is both approachable and authoritative.
Alison's work has appeared in Paleo Magazine, Best Self Magazine, Craftsmanship Magazine, Notre Dame Magazine, NaturalHealth365.com, JolieTalks.com, and other print and digital publications both regional and national.
There are copious "rules" for copywriting, but at core, the best marketing and promotional copy defines your brand, speaks to your targeted audience, and inspires action. We are now in an age of information overload. You need to catch your audience's attention in a nanosecond. Even one strategically chosen headline can make a difference.Alison has worked for almost two decades as a print and digital copywriter for clients ranging from financial publications to non-profit organizations.
Expertise includes: Integrated marketing campaigns, email marketing, online and print promotions, direct mail marketing, and websites.
Services include ghostwriting for editorials, op-eds, blogs, websites, books, and book proposals.
Everything is design. And design is everything. The website you're viewing now. The logo on your coffee cup. The investment pamphlet from your local bank. Alison works with clients of varied industries to create all facets of print and digital design.
Expertise includes: Integrated advertising campaigns, event signage and collateral, email promotions, print promotions, logo and identity systems, and publication design.
Select client list includes: Emerald Expositions / Crain Communications / Critical Mention / Environmental Health Trust / MCL Interactive / Christ Church of Pelham NY
web design & development
Whether you're launching a new website or need a refresh update to your current site, we are able to take on your website project. Alison works in partnership with technology innovator Maria Lima of MCL Interactive to both design and develop beautiful and highly functional websites for clients. Together, we can deliver any scale of website, responsive to mobile and compatible cross-browser platforms.
Part consultant and part artist (and sometimes wizard), a creative director guides projects with vision and strategic focus. Alison specializes in creative direction, combining her writing, design and business skills, to lead an entire team or a project from initial concept through final launch. She has helped NYC-based media companies kick off live events, conferences and award ceremonies; she has worked with non-profits organizations to create and manage fundraising campaigns; and she has helped biotech and B2B marketing firms develop a new and dynamic presence at trade shows.
Industry expertise includes: B2B Media / Non-Profit Organizations / Financial & Investments / Environmental Health & Medicine / Small Business / Educational Publishing
- Are We Carb(on)-Loading Our Crops? How Climate Change is Altering Our Food's Nutritional Value (Paleo Magazine, April/May 2018)
- The Lost Sounds of Silence: What We Cannot Hear In A Noisy World (Paleo Magazine, February/March 2018)
- Star Light, Star Bright. Why Can’t We See The Stars At Night? The Problem With Our Vanishing Dark Skies (Paleo Magazine, Special Issue, Go Paleo. December 2017)
- Addicted to iLove: The Consequences of Connected Reality (Paleo Magazine, Special Issue, Go Paleo. December 2017)
- Should The Internet Really Be Everything? What’s Not So Smart About Our Smart-Tech Future (Paleo Magazine. December/January 2018)
- Where Is The Love? (WhatIs5G.info. October 14, 2017)
- The Jewelry Archaeologist (Craftsmanship Magazine. Fall 2017)
- Electrical Pollution In Your Home: Why You Can’t Be Healthy In A Sick House (Paleo Magazine. October/November 2017)
- ElectroSensitivity: When the Modern World Hurts (Best Self Magazine. August 2017)
- InPower Movement: A NEW strategy to push back against the dangerous spread of smart meters and 5G technology (NaturalHealth365.com. September 1, 2017)
- Do You Have An Environmental Illness? What Happens When the Modern World Makes You Sick (Paleo Magazine. August/September 2017)
- Jolie Jones: Taking Back Her Power (JolieTalks.com. May 22, 2017)
- The Kids Are Not All Right. How Wireless Tech Is Harming Our Youth And What Parents Can Do Right Now (Paleo Magazine. February/March 2017)
- Home Sweet Home: Is Your Home Making You Sick? (Paleo Magazine. December/January 2016)
- No Text Weekend (News of Pelham. August 31, 2016)
- The Hazards of Electromagnetic Fields (Paleo Magazine. August/September 2016)
- Do Your Kids Practice Safe Tech? (News of Pelham. July 11, 2016)
- I Am an EMF Refugee (Notre Dame Magazine. June 23, 2016)
- How to Digitally Detox (News of Pelham. June 9, 2016)
- How Healthy is Your Home? (News of Pelham. May 26, 2016)
Alison also blogs at uncommonalchemy.me